Thursday, April 21, 2011

Day 3: my first love

Oh boy. This one is going to be a long one...

I dated a guy named Nick for almost a year. I met him at my friend Scott's senior prom and gave him my number that night. We went on our first date a couple days later and then became a couple shortly after that. This was my first serious relationship, and I was so excited. But right away we started having problems. We fought all the time. I have read back through the journal I kept during the time he and I were together, and after reading it I feel really stupid for not ending the relationship sooner. We started dating in May, and three months later I went off to college. He went, well, no where. His parents hated me, and at certain points in the relationship I wasn't even allowed at their house. I always wanted him to stand up for himself to his parents, but he wouldn't, and that was a major cause of our fighting.

This is Nick and me at my high school graduation. Teenagers are funny.

In March 2006, I found Nick on MySpace and added him as a friend. I found out a bunch of stuff about him that I didn't like; for example, he was writing on other girls' pages about how cute they were and how he wanted to meet them... Super shady stuff. I asked him about it, and we got into a huge fight that left me feeling like our relationship was falling apart. Then, in April, about three weeks before our one year anniversary, he called me, drunk, from the lake. We got into a fight because he didn't want to talk to me and he was hanging out with a whole bunch of girls down there. I asked him if he still wanted to be with me, and he said if I was going to force him to make a decision then no, he didn't. I was devastated. Completely heartbroken. I all but dropped out of school. I quit going to class and doing homework. I even asked all my professors if I could take my finals early so that I could just move home...

Over the next month after our break-up, he did some VERY hurtful things. He would act like he thought he wanted to get back together with me, and then he would call me and say he was hanging out with some other girl. He called me once and invited me over and then called me back like thirty minutes later to tell me nevermind, some girl named Kay was coming over instead. That was the last straw. I really almost lost it that night. It got to the point where his friends were leaving his house that night to come hang out with me, because they felt so bad for me. I will never forget one of his friends in particular, Joe. Even though his girlfriend hated me, he came over and spent the night at my house just so I didn't have to be alone.

The final moment I realized that I couldn't take it anymore was when he came to my house in May to admit to me that he had sex with this girl named Danielle the day after we broke up. He sat there, in my bed, crying like a little bitch, and all I could tell him was to get out of my house. He actually sat on the back porch with my parents, crying for like an hour because I was mad at him. But I was done.

I wrote about Nick not because I think NOW that I was in love with him. But at the time, I definitely did. I didn't realize that I shouldn't have been treated that way. I was only 16 when we met, and I was stupid. When he broke up with me I thought I would NEVER get over it. But here it is, five years almost to the day later, and I don't care about him at all. He never crosses my mind, and I never wonder what he is up to. He and I had lunch in December 2007, and I couldn't wait for it to be over. There were just no feelings there anymore. None.

Does that sound like love? Everyone says people never get over their first love. But I did. So I guess it wasn't love after all...

David came into my life at the exact right time. We had gone to high school together, but he graduated two years before me. I had a major crush on him when I was a sophomore, but after he graduated, I kind of forgot about him. I knew he had gone into the Army, and I heard things from our mutual friends about how he was doing, but I didn't expect to ever see him again. But the day after the fiasco went down with Nick where he invited me over then told me Kay was coming over instead, my friend Jason called me and asked if he and David could come visit me in Columbia the next day. I told him I had already moved back home, so they decided to just stop by that night. I was ecstatic, of course, because I had had such a big crush on David in high school. He and I hit it off right away and stayed up talking until 5 in the morning. This happened the next night as well (my birthday), and the following night he took me on a date. We started spending all of our time together, and I loved it. I was still really hurt by Nick, but I was starting to get over him... Except, I was still talking to him, and David didn't like that at all. He gave me an ultimatum that I had to choose between them, and when I finally stopped talking to Nick for good I was more relieved than anything.

I'm not trying to sit here and say that my relationship with David is perfect. We have been together for almost five years, and it has been filled with lots of ups and downs. We have been through a LOT together, but I feel like we can make it through anything now because of that. I can't even describe how I feel about him. He is my family. His family is my family. I love him more than I ever thought I could love someone... Ok this is getting sappy.

This is David and me at my 21st birthday party.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that my "first love" wasn't my first love at all. It was just the first boyfriend I ever had, and I was young and silly.

Teenagers are funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment