Monday, October 24, 2011

Just Another Day in Paradise

So I was sitting at my desk at work today, and all of a sudden I felt like I was dying. I got really hot, nauseous, and dizzy and my heart started acting all erratic. My coworkers noticed, and one of them convinced me I should go to the hospital. She drove me to University Hospital where I had an ekg done while she was there with me. David came up there and she left, and then they did a chest x-ray (one of the few things I haven't already had done...) and then they tried to draw blood. I say "tried" because this process took 45 minutes, and they had to stick me 7 or 8 times. My arms are all kinds of torn up, and I already have huge bruises forming from where they had to dig around in my arm trying to find a vein. It actually took three different people to get any blood out of my arm at all. They were actually talking about bringing someone in from pediatrics to do it because my veins are so small. All of that and (SURPRISE, SURPRISE) they found nothing wrong. My blood and urine work were all fine, my x-ray was fine... After being there for four hours they gave me an IV and discharged me. This time, however, they gave me a 24-hour monitor to wear, so hopefully it will show SOMETHING and that will give me a new direction to go in. Or it won't show anything, and I will finally know nothing is wrong with my heart and I will try to force myself to eliminate that as a possibility in my mind.

All of this is made even more frustrating by the fact that this all happened while I was at work. Not only did I have to leave work early, so my hours for the week won't be what I was depending on for rent money, but I embarrassed myself in front of my boss and now I'm scared she is going to think I'm sickly or something... which I am, but she didn't need to know that. I feel like she is going to be constantly worrying now whether I'm going to be able to work or not, and I hate that. I feel like, unless I'm keeled over on the floor of the office, I'm never going to leave work again due to my illness because I don't want to let my boss and coworkers down. As it is, I have to leave early on Friday to drive to St. Louis for a doctor appointment...

Speaking of doctors, my cardio (the one that never called me back when I tried to make an appointment a few weeks ago) mailed a letter to my parents' house saying she left her practice at the hospital she was at and is now at a new one. I guess that's why the receptionist at her old office was so cryptic about why she couldn't make an appointment for me, but it was still weird. Either way, I don't want to see her anymore, because to me it's not okay to just completely disregard your (possibly critical) patients like that. I would like to find a doctor here in town so I don't always have to drive to St. Louis when I feel crappy.

Well anyway, the Rangers just tied up Game 5 of the World Series, so I need to start paying attention to that... GO CARDS!

No comments:

Post a Comment