Monday, September 12, 2011

This week is finally here!

I saw a new neurologist today. I stayed up way too late last night and getting up early for an 8:15 appointment was not pleasant. I felt super crappy when I woke up, but after getting up and moving around, and then eating a little breakfast, I felt better. I had to stop at a gas station to buy a toothbrush on the way there, because I forgot mine when I stayed at Allyssa's last night, but I made it to MoBap in plenty of time. But then I got hopelessly lost and ended up in the area of the hospital where only staff are supposed to be. Eventually some random lady who worked at the hospital asked me if I needed help and she took me to where I needed to be (which I NEVER would have found if she hadn't helped me). I only had to wait a few minutes before being called back to see the doctor, which was such a relief because I have waited nearly two hours to see both my cardiologist and my first neurologist. The doctor came in and asked me all kinds of questions about both my symptoms and the situations surrounding my whole illness, which was nice. We spent about an hour talking and she only examined me for about five minutes. That was actually really important to me, because I just want to feel like I'm being heard by my doctors. She agreed that I have some vasovagal symptoms going on, but she thinks a lot of my problems aren't POTS related (which makes sense because even when my HR and BP are completely normal I have bad symptoms at times). She suggested I might have a migraine variant, which an ENT suggested back in November of last year, and she put me on a new medication, Neurontin. She took me off the Florinef/Potassium, which I'm glad about, and she gave me a script for Zofran for nausea. That makes me really happy because I have taken it before so I know how I react to it... My cardiologist gave me Compazine for nausea, but the side effects for that are terrifying, so I never took it. My new neuro agreed with me that Zofran is probably a much better medication for me. Anyway, I go back to see her in six weeks, and hopefully I will show some improvement by then. I'm cautiously optimistic, as always, that this might be the thing that helps me feel better. She did mention that sometimes when people get something like this, it never goes away and sometimes it does, which scares me, but I guess I have to live in the present and just take things one day at a time...

I am going to see a neuro-ophthalmologist tomorrow, and I'm pretty excited about that too. The neuro I saw today said that they are going to run a ton of tests on me tomorrow and that a lot of patients she sends there return very impressed with the amount of stuff they do. The appointment is supposed to last three to four hours, and I'm excited to see what they can figure out. I hope I like this doctor... I've had some not-so-great doctors in the past year so I hope I can finally find some that I like. I hope after I see her tomorrow I will have some more answers!

The neuro wrote me two scripts today, but I can't afford them at all. I really hope my mom can buy them for me, but I used her debit card twice today without asking, so I'm scared she is going to be mad and tell me no if I ask her to buy my medicine. It shouldn't be that expensive, so she shouldn't have a problem with it, but I hope she doesn't just say no because she's mad... Plus I'm going to need her to pay my co-pay tomorrow too...

No comments:

Post a Comment