Tuesday, September 13, 2011

a huge waste of a day

So I went to the neuro-ophthalmologist today, and I have never been so discouraged and upset by a doctor in my life. After spending all morning with the doctor's assistant (who I actually really liked -- she's going to make a great eye doctor some day.), the doctor finally came in to see me. The very first thing she did was reprimand me for having seen so many doctors for my POTS. She said there were "too many chefs in the kitchen" and I need to just choose one and stick with it because they will all end up changing my medicine and it will be bad for me. Well, I'm sorry that the first doctor I saw let his nurse try to kill me by giving me the wrong dose of medicine, and I'm sorry that the second doctor ignored the page from her exchange when I thought I needed to go to the hospital. I am of the belief that if I'm unhappy with a doctor I should find one I AM happy with instead of suffering unnecessarily.

So after she told me that, I was already upset, and then when all my tests came back normal she basically told me that the visual problems I'm having are probably just part of the natural aging process (I'm 23...). She also made me sound like I was crazy because she couldn't understand the way I was describing my visual disturbances so she basically made it sound like she didn't believe they were there, or that they were something other than what they actually are. After they dilated my eyes, she made me look at all these pictures of "visual snow" to see if that is what I see (which isn't what I see at all), but since my eyes were dilated it was so blurry I couldn't even tell what I was looking at. She basically told me she thinks that nothing is wrong with my eyes and that the doctor I saw yesterday is also wrong with a diagnosis of migraines. So if it's not POTS related, and it's not migraines, but nothing's wrong with my eyes, then what is it??? Just aging? I'm twenty-freakin'-three. I understand that floaters come with age. I will even admit that the one floater I have could be caused by aging. But the other stuff -- the dark spots or "after-images" as she kept calling them are NOT because of aging.

Another thing -- I told her that I have both double vision and extreme light sensitivity and she disregarded them both altogether. She didn't say anything about either of them. I think that is what makes me the most upset. Just because my tests came back normal doesn't mean that nothing is wrong. It just means it's not in my eyes. I purposely sought out a NEURO-ophthalmologist thinking that she would check into my optic nerve or other neuro-type things associated with vision, but literally every test I had done today I've had done before. This whole thing is just so frustrating... I don't really know where to go now. I really hope the neuro I saw yesterday can help me because if not I feel like I have really exhausted all my resources...

1 comment:

  1. That sounds nuts! My mom is really into natural medicines, etc and she has a co worker that almost died from some virus he picked up overseas. Well no one could figure out what was wrong with this person, all the tests came back normal, etc. They finally went to a "natural" doctor (which I know...it does sound weird) anyways this doctor knew what it was right away and was able to help them get better. It's hard to believe that some doctors are just that stupid...

    ReplyDelete